Let’s face it, working for other people and making them wealthy while you try to survive on minimum wage sucks. Working in sales, I’ve had more than 40 hours taken up in any given week by a company that basically owned my time. It took me away from all the things I loved to do: hiking with my dog, photography and painting projects, and cooking healthy meals.
Fortunately, starting your own business is easier than ever these days with endless platforms and software available at your fingertips, often free! Even if you have limited technological skills like me, there are simple programs available to get you and your new business up and running.
If you’re still not convinced, here are 10 Reasons Why You Should Start Your Own Art Business:
- You get the opportunity to work from home. No more stressful commutes in congested traffic or having to get up early to do hair, makeup, and decide on a work outfit. Bonus: you get to write off a great deal of rent, mortgage, electricity, and electronic purchases with tax breaks.
- The freedom of having flexibility in how and when you work your business is a huge advantage. You can schedule in errands and appointments any time without fearing the wrath of a difficult boss and work late evenings or early mornings as you choose. If you want to take time to get your business set up just the way you want it, you can take care and time in doing so without unreasonable deadlines enforced upon you by others.
- Selling your own artwork can be deeply rewarding and satisfying in a way that selling products for a big faceless company is not.
- Building satisfying relationships with your customers can lead to more sales in the future. Problem solving and making your customers happy can also lead to more meaningful business connections.
- Owning your own art business offers you more time to spend on self care like exercise, making healthy meals for your family, and getting to know your customers on your own terms. Instead of being stuck at a desk or in your vehicle for hours on end, you can take as many health breaks as you need to keep working healthier, happier, and more energized.
- You can develop a closer local following with your art business and maintain relationships with other businesses you care about. This can lead to a more meaningful sense of community as you get to know your local crafters, farmers’ markets, and gift shop businesses. This can lead to more revenue streams, new customers, and closer relationships with the people around you.
- An art degree is helpful but not necessary to start an art business. Your business model can be as simple or as complex as you decide it to be. All you require is determination, art skills, and the patience to watch as many YouTube videos as you like to help get you started and avoid costly mistakes.
- You can make as little or as much money as you like so the sky is the limit. No more glass ceiling with no room for financial improvement here!
- Starting your new art business gives you valuable skills for future endeavours. You can learn to build your own website, Instagram business, how to ship items around the world, improve customer service, how to source affordable office supplies, and so much more. The skills you learn operating your own business benefit you and your future in more ways than you can imagine.
- Finally, starting your own art business is a road to realizing your passions. You may discover you want to devote as much of your time and energy as possible to make it a huge success. One success builds upon another and could lead to more in the future.
Starting a new business is not easy, but it is doable. And the satisfaction of doing it is priceless.
Get in touch with Tara today. Email email@example.com, follow her on Instagram @tarapanrucker, or order limited edition art prints from her new business, BC Art Escapes, on her SHOP page and escape into beautiful!
Tara Panrucker, Copyright 2022
All rights reserved.