Looking out at the world, the current issues facing us easily feel overwhelming. From global warming to corruption in governments and corporations, the easiest action to take is no action. However, you may find your life quickly losing any sense of purpose or meaning if you simply sit idly by watching and complaining about ‘how things are’.
Do you want to be a part of the problem or a part of the solution?
Making a change in the world around you begins right in front of your own two feet. Here are a few manageable ways for anyone to make a difference from right where you are.
- Plant a tree, or several, in your backyard. Get your friends on board with this. Planting a tree provides a home for important insects and birds to flourish and thrive. You can dedicate your tree in honour of a loved one you’ve lost to instill further meaning. Add more life to the world around you and nature at the same time. While you’re at it, add some lavender to attract more bees and butterflies.
- If you don’t have a yard, that’s no excuse not to grow something. Plant a small organic herb or flower garden in a beautiful pot. Place near a window for natural light. Use the best potting soil you can afford as the best ones are nutrient-rich and almost guarantee success. Enjoy the beauty of your flowers and the nutrition of your own herbs you can snip every time you cook.
- Feeling a lack of abundance in your life lately due to a reduction of work or income? I’ve found the perfect solution to get your faith and motivation back! Investigate local charities or hospital foundations that offer contests or lotteries. Pool your money with friends or family and purchase a few tickets while supporting a worthy cause. Your chances of winning cash, a new home or vehicle in local contests and far higher than a provincial lottery ticket. Hope springs eternal.
- Set aside your change to support local women’s shelters, health causes, animal rehabilitation, or any other organization you feel a connection to. Your change adds up to necessary funds that help others who need your hand up to begin to thrive again.
- Adopt an animal. Make sure you can support your animal first with healthy food, veterinarian costs, and time to care for their wellbeing. A lonely animal you save from a shelter will give you endless, unconditional love and joy for years to come.
- Pick up garbage when you see it and place in trash bins. Make your surroundings healthier and more beautiful for everyone.
- Join a peaceful protest in your city to voice your values and concerns. Talk with other like minded people who feel passionate about change.
- Don’t have the funds for a degree? We are fortunate to have libraries and the internet at our disposal, almost FREE of charge. You can learn anything for free in books, watching YouTube videos, and writing down your perceptions. Learning something new every day is never a waste of your time.
What you do every single day matters in the grand scheme of things. Ask every day ‘what is my purpose’ and you’ll soon discover what a meaningful, wonderful, precious life you have exactly where you are. And genuine, lasting happiness is sure to follow.
Tara Panrucker, Copyright 2021
All rights reserved.