There’s no doubt about it that the final month of 2020 requires a healthy, nutrient-packed comfort soup to make the year JUST GO AWAY. Bye-bye!
With the world pandemic showing no signs of slowing down, taking care of one’s health should be a top priority. Instead of bingeing on potato chips and fattening dip, choose better. Okay, sometimes I do, and sometimes I just go with my craving.
However, a giant bowl of steaming hot soup, made with an array of delicious vegetables and herbs, is the perfect healer of mind, body and soul. Ah, serenity right here, right now!
Undeniably, you’ll feel much better after a bowl of this than after eating an entire box of chocolates meant to be gifted. Whoopsie!
So don’t wait, my sweet tomatoes! Dive in!
cold comfort make-this-pandemic-disappear soup
30 ml olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
2-3 large cloves minced garlic
1 diced tomato, or a few large spoonfuls of roasted tomatoes or salsa
1 litre or 4 cups of vegetable stock
Small handful of frozen peas
Bunch of fresh or frozen spinach leaves and/or chopped kale
1-2 bay leaves
5 ml oregano
2.5 ml thyme
Himalayan Sea Salt & pepper to taste
Make this MAGICAL SOPA (because saying soup in Spanish reminds me of world travel – remember that)?
- In a large SOPA pot, heat olive oil over medium heat; slowly stir in onions and saute until golden (about 5 minutes). Add garlic; saute 1 more minute. Savour the wonderful smell of onions & garlic while staring dreamily into space….
- But pay attention! Pour in vegetable stock like a delicious waterfall of goodness.
- Mix in all the lovely vegetables that have been languishing in your fridge. Add bay leaves and salsa or roast tomatoes for heavenly rich flavour. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30-60 minutes, depending on how much time you have.
- Add all the herbs and spices you desire and simmer a few more minutes.
- Pour yourself a huge bowl of wholesomeness and dream the remains of the day away.
This signals the final recipe I’ll be posting as I have other plans for the New Year. These plans do not, fortunately, include learning the new WordPress editing program. I can assure you, by the time I learn how to format with blocks, the evil techies will change it all again.
Suffice to say I do not have time for this (insert expletive here).
But fear not – I will post the occasional poem or blog and update my work page. That’s what pays for enjoying life (not struggling to learn new web formatting–ugh).
Stay tuned for one or two less sarcastic posts before this nuttier than a fruitcake year comes to a welcome end! Until then, stay warm and keep reading great things that keep you inspired to live the good life (in spite of the news telling you that’s not possible).
Anything is possible! Even learning the new WordPress formatting, if you’re so inclined. I am not.